How to Get Paid for Providing Housing for a disabled Family Member?

This is an interesting topic as technically there is no “direct way” that you as a caregiver can get paid directly by the government or an NGO for providing services strictly for your family member. You really have to be entrepreneurial about this and creative about it. What we have seen is that when there is a will, there is a way!

To begin with, one of the easiest ways of obtaining funding – literally direct funding – for providing housing and related services for disabled family members is to get set up as their representative payee through the social security administration. A representative payee is someone that receives the payment of the social security income check or the social security disability income check for the individual with the disability.

What is SSI and SSDI?

In order to better understand this process, we must first dive into how the disabled receive income. Most people that are disabled, receive some type of income from the government. This usually comes in the form  of social security income or social security disability income.  The checks are typically anywhere from $605 – $1000 per month. However, due to the fact that the bulk of these individuals cannot manage their personal finances, they often times obtain a representative payee. Many times, this is a family member. In essence, this is how the family member obtains payment for providing these services which often include housing and related services.

So that is option number one. Option number two requires a bit more creativity and can combine a bit of the above with a bit of funding from the government using a multitude of programs…..however, it also requires becoming larger and helping out more people. When I say larger, I mean that one must begin to serve the community through a business or non profit that helps out numerous people with disabilities.

Once you do this, you begin answering the question of how to get paid for providing housing for the disabled, and in this case, a disabled family member.

Providing a care home, HCS home or other group home for the disabled and obtaining funding

When you really step back and think about how you can get paid for being a caregiver for a disabled family member, you soon realize that you need to create an actual business that will provide care for not just your family member, but other peoples family members as well. Is there a need for this? You bet there is. Can you get paid for doing this? Of course you can! Here at we show YOU how to build a business that will not only pay you, but also pay other people (staff) for helping out those with disabilities. For example, lets assume you live in Texas and have a family member with a disability. You realize that you are already spending time taking care of your loved one and may as well build a business around helping other people’s family members with disabilities. You simply go here

At this DADs website (department of aging and disability services) you can research how to set up a group home for the disabled and receive funding for doing so.

If you are looking for additional information on how to start a group home, halfway home, transitional living home, sober home, foster home, ICF/MR home, DADS Home or other type of care home for people with disabilities; check out our free course on starting your very own income-generating group home by clicking on the free wealth building course.