Capitalize on the HUD 811 Program

15 Dec 2013 by ">Admin

What is the HUD 811 Program and how can I make money with it?

As you are wondering how to start a group home for the disabled, today we are going to give you a yet another example of how much government money is available for you to start up your own business providing real estate and housing for those in need.

What exactly is Section 811 housing for people with disabilities?

The US Government wants you and NEEDS you to help out those in need. In 2012, HUD began partnering with state housing agencies to have them conduct outreach to a target population of extremely low-income persons with disabilities requiring long term service and support. This money is used to provide housing for these people and the money is administered by the respective state agencies.  How much money are we talking about?

In 2013, HUD Requested $150,000,000. Yes,  $150 Million.

Now I realize that $150 Million may not seem like a lot, however this is just one tiny, small program in all of HUD’s budget. And just imagine what .001 would do for you! That would be $150,000

Additionally, for 2013, HUD requested $111,000,000 for the renewal of 811 vouchers. These are the vouchers that you as a business owner and landlord would be able to benefit from. How you ask? Well, since 2009 $7,816 special Non-Elderly disabled vouchers have been given to people that want and need to live in places for special needs individuals. Group homes, halfway homes, care homes, assisted living homes, recovery homes and other rooming homes that provide housing often times receive money directly from their local HHS offices for simply providing housing for those in need. HUD has developed a close partnership with the department of health and human services (HHS) and you as a group home owner and operator for the elderly or disabled will need to develop a relationship with your local HHS office.


Tell them who you are, tell them about your home and let them pay you the rent!


Hundreds of people come in the local HHS office on a weekly basis needing assistance. One of the primary areas of need? Housing.  Now that you know that, call up your local HHS office and ask to speak with the administrator. It is not that hard! Tell them about your home and what type of people you are now providing housing for. Within a month, your property will be full if you go about this in the right way.



Well, if the earlier numbers were just too small for you and you want to go after a larger piece of the pie, may we suggest looking into setting you sights on starting group homes, care homes, elderly homes, VA homes and so-forth with a focus on ending homelessness. The homelessness prevention and rapid re-housing program is awarded to states, cities and counties across the United States with the stated goal of eradicating homelessness. Your job as the owner of group homes and care homes is to meet with the people in charge of these funds within your city or county to inform them of how you can assist by providing their clients with housing.

Once you have clients that they are sending you, you will simply submit an invoice to the appropriate party. In numerous states, there are literally tens of millions of dollars allocated to these particular programs. Many of them ask for your “daily rate” in housing clients. Assuming you charge a “daily rate” of $40 and you keep the client for an entire month, you would receive $1,200 for that client.

See The Possibilites

Now imagine housing 12 clients in a house specifically set aside for providing housing for special needs clients. All of these HUD 811 clients would be refferalls from your local city or county government. Your gross revenue for the month would be $14,400 ($1,200 X 12 people) and your expenses would be roughly $1,500 or so ($1,000 for rent or mortgage and $500 for utilities, phone and internet). $12,900 per month for providing housing and related services for just one of the many government programs out there!

If you are looking for additional information on how to start a group home, halfway home, transitional living home, sober home, foster home, ICF/MR home, DADS Home or other type of care home for people with disabilities; check out our free course on starting your very own income-generating group home by entering your email below.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *